If you're reading this, chances are you've arrived here from a link I sent you via email. That email would have been a reply to one you originally sent to me that would have sounded something like this:
Hi, I came across your blog on [thing] and I must admit, it was really nicely written. I also have an article on [thing] and I think it would be a great addition to your blog.
No, no it wouldn't and there are all sorts of reasons why not. First among them is that if I was to add a link to your resource, I'd be legitimising the spam email you just sent me. Wait - you think It's not spam? Of course it's spam! Keep reading the definition until you understand then proceed:
Spamming is the use of messaging systems to send an unsolicited message, especially advertising
Alrighty, so it's an unsolicited message (I certainly didn't ask for it) and it's intended to advertise your work. And that's really what you're asking for here - free advertising. You want people reading my content to leave my site and head on over to yours where they'll not only read your content, but (probably) view your ads and drive revenue for you.
Thing is, it's probably not even "your" site anyway because there's a very high likelihood that you're an Oompa Loompa in the "digital marketing" space tasked with spamming people like me (remember, you're only allowed to have gotten down to here if you understand what spam is) in order to drive clicks. It's either clicks alone or clicks and SEO courtesy of establishing more inbound links in an attempt to artificially inflate the popularity of the site.
So here's how I've decided to deal with the problem: every time I receive spam of this nature I'm going to add an item to the list below. It will have the title of the resource you wanted me to link to, except... no link! Just the title. On a popular blog. So now when people search for [thing], they'll hopefully end up here rather than on the spammy article thus penalising you for your behaviour. And just to help my own SEO and awareness of your spammy behaviour, I'll tweet a link to this page with the title of your page each time it happens.
- The Ultimate Tor Browser Guide for 2020
- The Best VPN for China 2020
- How to know if someone is watching you on your camera
- 5 Ways to Stay Protected from Advanced Phishing Threats
- How to Access Windows Remote Desktop Over the Internet
- What We Need To Know About Bluetooth Security
- The Best Internet Browser for 2020
- Two-Factor Authentication: What Is It and Why You Should Use It
- 14 Ways to Create a Secure Password in 2020 (That you’ll Remember)
- Black Hat SEO
- Infidelity Statistics (2020) – Do Men Or Women Cheat More?
- PayPal Fees: 5 Ways to Avoid This
- How to Come Up With a BS-Free Answer to This Question: “What Does Customer Service Mean to You?”
- The History and Uses of the Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Cybersecurity Career Guide
- Best Email Finder Tools to Find Emails Addresses And Phone Number
- Sell Bitcoin for Skrill
- The Student's Internet Research Guide
- A Guide to Public Wifi Security Risks & How to Use it Safely
- How Much Internet Speed Do I Need?
- The Ultimate Pet Nutrition Guide
- Sim Swap Fraud: How to Spot It and Respond
- Health Benefits of Experiencing the Great Outdoors
- What Happened To Klout.com?
- An introduction to cyber security and data protection
- How I Automate SendGrid To Scale Cold Email Campaigns
- What is a Password Manager?
- A Look Back At 10 Years Of Product Launch Controversy At CES
- The Best Internet Tools For Distance Learning
- A Guide To Setting Up A Home Office
- Is Dropbox secure? Here are 9 ways to enhance Dropbox's privacy
- MyHeritage vs 23andMe vs AncestryDNA - Battle of the Titans 2020
- World’s LARGEST Australian Slang Dictionary: 711 Words & Phrases
- Turn your social audience into leads
- The Best VPN Services of 2020
- Best Cash Back Credit Cards of 2020
- The Ultimate Guide To Road Tripping
- Top 10 Captcha Solving Services Compared
- Beginners Guide to GDPR Compliance in 2020
- Is Walking A Good Exercise?
- Stages of Grieving: Take the Steps to a Resourceful Life
- Ransomware Playbook: 31 Critical Questions to Build Your Own
- Average Time Spent Daily on Social Media (Latest 2020 Data)
- Ethereum: What Makes This Crypto Valuable (and Different to Bitcoin)
- Firewall Vs. VPN Difference: Can VPN Bypass Firewall?
- Staying Safe Online: Complete Guide For You And Your Family
- Data Leakage Prevention: What It Is and How It Can Help Your Business
- Best Text Editor for Mac
- The Best Video Doorbell For Your Home In 2021
- 20 Amazing Health Benefits From Running a 5K
- 28+ Phishing Statistics You Should Be Aware Of In 2021
- How to Put on a Chastity Cage
- How Does Reddit Make Money? A Closer Look at the Company’s Finances
- Micro Focus Fortify Static Code Analyzer – Tips and Tricks
- The Student's Internet Research Guide - 2020 Edition
- 10 Best Free Test Management Tools For 2021
- Ultimate Guide to Start Selling on eBay
- Web Application Development: The Ultimate Guide | 2021
- Road Safety in the USA
Incidentally, I think this blog post would be a great addition to your article, would you mind linking to it? kthanksbye!