A little late this week as the tail end of travel bites into my time, but it's nice to be home again (albeit amidst a period of record rainfall). I'll get back on a normal schedule next week but for now, here's all the usual stuff in number 284, complete with a super cool "ransomwear" hoodie from this week's sponsor, Varonis 😎
- The Messaging Malware Mobile Anti-Abuse Working Group Mary Litynski Award (seeing industry recognition for HIBP is enormously fulfilling)
- Hacktivist action against Russia might be well-intentioned, but is fraught with problems (a kid in their bedroom on the other side of the world is a very different story to someone on the ground defending their livelihood)
- The documentary I was referring to is We Are Legion (watch the kids / very young adults who partook in hacktivist activity against PayPal and consider how endorsed many of them actually were in the cause, and the consequences they subsequently faced)
- Making Pwned Passwords go really fast (how many thousands of requests do you think you can make per second?)
- Sponsored by: Varonis. Reduce your ransomware blast radius with the leader in data-first security. Try it free!