Strap yourself in, this is a big one! Big video, big breach (scrape?), and a big audience today. The Twitter incident consumed a heap of my time before, during and after this live stream, but then I go and get a sudden itch to do stuff like the number plate capturing and, well, there goes even more hours I don't have. But hey, I love what I do and I have no regrets, I hope you enjoy watching this week's vid 😊
Oh - one more thing: today I set up an official Mastodon account for HIBP. If you've got a footprint in the fediverse, please go and give the account a follow. There are a bunch of others out there that definitely aren't run by me, it's only this one, it only follows me personally and it has a verified website of haveibeenpwned.com so should be easy to find even if you don't follow the link above.
- The old legacy rate limit for the HIBP API is now gone (loads of warning on this, but the stats show a lot of extra requests being rate limited since the change hit)
- The Deezer breach has been really poorly communicated on their behalf (seems like they forgot to notify, well, everyone!)
- Looks like the scraped Twitter data all came by throwing previously breached email addresses at a vulnerable API (you can't even blame Elon for that one... but you can probably blame him for the zero comms on the incident)
- I had way too much fun letting ChatGPT mess with a spammer (he wasn't quite as amused as me 🤣)
- I've been playing around with capturing number plates via my Ubiquiti gear (after more trialling today, my conclusion is that I need to get my hands on some of their new AI gear and stop trying to build this myself)
- Sponsored by: 1Password, a secure password manager, is building the passwordless experience you deserve. See how passkeys work